Whether you are traveling to Cancun, or applying for a job, it sure would help to know a bit about another language, right?
Even if it's not for a vacation overseas, one thing about learning a language, is that it is so useful.
Say you are looking for a job. Think about how many positions would be available to you if you just spoke Spanish.
On the flip side, if you speak Spanish, and learned English as a Second Language, you too would have more opportunity to work. But also, you would be able to access so much more from American culture by learning English!
The library subscribes to the database called Powerspeak. The library has bought it so you don't have to!!!
All you do is sign up with an email and create a password, choose the language you want to learn, and you're in!
You can choose to learn:
- Mandarin, or
- Inglés (ESL)
Here is the introduction to an exercise in ESL:
The modules are welcoming and easy to try. The interface is interactive and keeps you engaged throughout the entire learning process.
To find this database:
- Log on to www.worcpublib.org, the WPL website.
- Click on the link, Online Databases on the left of the screen.
- Go to BY SUBJECT and scroll down to Language Learning.
- Click on Powerspeak.
- One the right there are two icons. One is of a House, and one is of the Library. If you are in the Library, click on that icon. Otherwise, click on the house icon.
- Sign up, and start learning!